Saturday, September 13, 2008

Getting there.

I took the bus from NY to DC. A lovely farewell including Mikey and Lauren seeing me off at the corner of 34th and 8th. Naturally I was 'running late' and therefore had no time for an emotional goodbye. Just a hug and a kiss and I'm on my way. Got to DC and took the train to Virginia to be picked up by Max! I had a wonderful stay at her house, inclusive of breakfast for dinner as well as free internet access, laundry and shuttle service to the airpot! Unbeatable.... I say.

She dropped me at Dulles the next afternoon, since it seemed I had my choice of departure times to Frankfurt I took my time with the final pack. Still neglecting to go to the store to pick up - what turned out to be - essential travelling items. We went to the airport, nervous as hell since I was still unsure if there was going to be a seat on any flight. I was there at 4pm and the next flight was at 5:23. I insisted to the lady that the next one was fine, partly not ready to face my dream and partly not wanting to reenact the Duffy-Airport scenes which without fail always has me running, breathless to catch the flight. The woman said, no you go now. Ok, I go now. Here I go.... run run run run run. Security! Shit! Of course, with out fail, I was "randomly picked" to have them sort through all of my stuff. It's ok I thought... just breathe. That finished... run run run.. Shuttle to gate b? Ok... Got to the gate and the plane was half boarded! Shit! I have to pee.. I haven't talked to anyone... I go to the payphone, I don't have any quarters. Shit! I dig and I dig and I dig. I found some.. I call my Dad.. no one picks up.. Shit! I call Annine and she picks up - thank god- I'M GOING! I blurted. "What? Are you serious? Oh my gosh... Call me when you can... " Then I ran to the bathroom and made it back in time to be the last one to board the plane. Whew!

We're sitting on the runway waiting to leave and I have to talk to at least one of my parents so I call my mother - she answers - we share a cry of relief - a cry of this is totally happening, everything that has been leading up to this no longer matters, here I am on the way to Europe. Call my brother for a quick WOOO and off I go...

Sitting between two very nice people. Both middle aged Americans. The woman to my right can't help but overhear my tears with my Mom and asks if this was my first time in Europe - I explain - the man to my left chirps in with his opinion. We chat through take off. It wasn't even before the beverage service that the woman turned to me and asked "What will you do about voting?!" The man explained to me that I can go to an embassay and ask to vote from there... Or see if they can point me in the right direction. Until well after beverage service we chat about Obama. Yes, we're all for obama. Other Americans chime in and here we are... talking politics.

I slept for MAYBE an hour on the plane (can you blame me?) and next thing I know it's a foggy morning in Frankfurt. I get off the plane in an unreal state and follow the crowd to customs and make my way to the train. The train machine was in German ...and only German. Now what? So with my pack big and strong on my back I turn to the man behind me and modestly ask for help. He helped. And a minute later I was on the train headed to the main station. From there I got my DB train ticket to Paris and was on my way within a matter of 20 minutes. I grabbed a quick pretzel for breakfast and cozied in on the train.


4 hours later arrived in an almost unbarably humid Paris. Got my pack down from storage and set off into the city to find the Metro. There were armed guards at the train, which was at first frightening and intimidating but they were really nice since they noticed I was lost and being pushed to the ground by the bag on my back. The pointed me to the Sortie (exit). I found the Metro and figured out where I needed to be and what trains to connect to. That was no problem - now the ticket machine. In french? Shit! Luckily it was exact change only so I didn't feel bad breaking my €10 with the attendant. Off to the hostel.

2 comments:

Phatjakey said...

To my utterly amazing sister. If ever you doubt your reasons for doing what you're doing take a minute to read what you've written here. These words are inspirational and I can't imagine them ever not bringing you right back to your moment of immaculate conception:when you knew this would be right. I love you so much, I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to run arm in arm through the streets of Pamplona in July. I love you, live your dreams. If it's not bad, it could work!!!

--M said...

I'm sure you will have lots of fun and everything will work out for the best! Enjoy your time there and keep me updated!!!